We want our Lower 1 pupils to experience a smooth transition from Nursery to Lower School. Lower 1 is about becoming familiar with the school day, the environment and the Lower School staff to ensure that your children adjust properly to their new surroundings. Our Lower 1 pupils will be introduced to new subjects and will learn about fun and exciting topics in their first year at Albyn School.
The curriculum includes:
- The Jolly Phonics programme including the 42 phonic sounds, rhymes, actions and letters and stories
- Sentence structure from alphabetic letters
- Library time
- Mathematics including working with numbers, telling the time, days of the week, shapes and basic mathematical symbols
- Science, Geography, History and RME taught through the International Primary Curriculum
- Access to the laptops and learning of basic IT skills such as using a mouse, typing and starting to use a search engine. They are supported in their ICT lessons by Lower 6/Lower 7 buddies
- PE and Music lessons with specialist teachers
- ‘Who Am I?’
- ‘Time Travellers’
- ‘The Magic Toymaker’
We want to make sure that our Lower 1 pupils also get to experience education outside of the classroom and go on fun trips that link to the topics they are studying. Some of our previous trips have taken pupils to Crathes Castle, Balmedie Beach, Hazlehead Park and Stonehaven.