Albyn School was founded by Miss Harriet Warrack in 1867 as an all-girls school known as the Union Place Ladies School. In 1886 we relocated to 4- 6 Albyn Place and changed our name to the Albyn Place Ladies School.
In 1898 a former Albyn pupil was among the first group of women to be awarded an Arts Degree from Aberdeen University.
In 1925 the School moved onto its current site in Queen’s Road. The Queen’s Road Buildings still exemplify the original architecture of the 19th century merchants’ houses.
In 1959 we expanded our new premises to acquire No. 17 Queen’s Road which many of our Former Pupils will remember as a boarding house.
In 1967, for our Centenary celebration, our Former Pupils generously donated funds to build the Centenary Hall which remains the heart of Albyn School today.
In 1992 our Science Labs were built at the back of our School grounds to accommodate the increased interest in Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
In 2005 we became a co-educational school by opening our doors to boys in the Lower School. A few years later in 2007 we build a brand new state of the art Lower School building consisting of three floors and 14 wonderfully bright classrooms that look out across Aberdeen.
In 2012, the four traditional Victorian villas were complemented by contemporary structural glazing which now forms the new light and welcoming entrance to the School. Later, the new Oliver Wing was opened by HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester.
The building comprises of 10 modern and spacious classrooms for teaching English, Mathematics and Information Technology.
In December 2014 the School underwent major renovations which saw the conversion of an atrium into three floors which now accommodate the Wood Arts and Lecture Theatre, the Lower School Library and a comfortable Upper 6 study area.
Its most recent phase of development led to the construction of the Wood Foundation Engineering Science Centre in 2016 to meet the needs of increasing numbers seeking careers in science, engineering and design.