Albyn School Logo

Albyn School

Return To Menu

A Brief History of Albyn School

Albyn School has changed both its name and location within Aberdeen since its foundation in 1867.

For a time the School was known as the Union Place Ladies School. In 1886, it relocated to 4-6 Albyn Place and was known as Albyn Place Ladies School. Some of earliest images of the School derive from this era as it developed a broader curriculum and its first measurable academic success. In 1898 a former Albyn pupil was among the first group of women to be awarded an Arts
Degree from Aberdeen University.

In 1925 the School moved onto its current site in Queen’s Road. The Queen’s Road buildings marry together the original architecture of 19th century merchants’ houses with the most contemporary 21st century design.

The School has continually built and redeveloped its teaching facilities creating specialist departmental areas, ICT suites, business education facilities, music practice rooms, art and design studios and numerous classrooms. Its most recent phase of development led to the construction of three new laboratories in 2011 to meet the needs of increasing numbers seeking careers in science, engineering and medicine. On 24 July 2012 the new Oliver Wing was opened by HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester comprising ten modern and spacious classrooms for the teaching of Mathematics, English and Technology. Located over two floors this new classroom block is raised up on columns to preserve the existing playground area beneath. Overlooking the Queen’s Road, the four traditional Victorian villas are now complemented by contemporary structural glazing that forms part of the new light and welcoming entrance to the School.

Started in the 19th Century and continuing into the 21st, we believe that Albyn School has the equipment, rooms and facilities to provide the very best education for your sons and daughters. In 1910, Harriet Warrack the Schools founding headmistress was praised for having founded ‘a west end school …conducted with conspicuous success, her pupils including not only scholars belonging to the city, but many from the country’. The School has developed in many ways since its foundation but continues the tradition of being conspicuously successful.

In 2016 Albyn School proudly reintroduced Boarding facilities as an option to pupils whose families live outside of Aberdeen. Located 5 minutes away from the School, our traditional granite boarding house is truly a home away from home, offering spacious single or shared rooms all containing ensuite bathrooms facilities.

A Brief History of Albyn School

Albyn School has changed both its name and location within Aberdeen since its foundation in 1867.

For a time the School was known as the Union Place Ladies School. In 1886, it relocated to 4-6 Albyn Place and was known as Albyn Place Ladies School. Some of earliest images of the School derive from this era as it developed a broader curriculum and its first measurable academic success. In 1898 a former Albyn pupil was among the first group of women to be awarded an Arts
Degree from Aberdeen University.

In 1925 the School moved onto its current site in Queen’s Road. The Queen’s Road buildings marry together the original architecture of 19th century merchants’ houses with the most contemporary 21st century design.

The School has continually built and redeveloped its teaching facilities creating specialist departmental areas, ICT suites, business education facilities, music practice rooms, art and design studios and numerous classrooms. Its most recent phase of development led to the construction of three new laboratories in 2011 to meet the needs of increasing numbers seeking careers in science, engineering and medicine. On 24 July 2012 the new Oliver Wing was opened by HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester comprising ten modern and spacious classrooms for the teaching of Mathematics, English and Technology. Located over two floors this new classroom block is raised up on columns to preserve the existing playground area beneath. Overlooking the Queen’s Road, the four traditional Victorian villas are now complemented by contemporary structural glazing that forms part of the new light and welcoming entrance to the School.

Started in the 19th Century and continuing into the 21st, we believe that Albyn School has the equipment, rooms and facilities to provide the very best education for your sons and daughters. In 1910, Harriet Warrack the Schools founding headmistress was praised for having founded ‘a west end school …conducted with conspicuous success, her pupils including not only scholars belonging to the city, but many from the country’. The School has developed in many ways since its foundation but continues the tradition of being conspicuously successful.

In 2016 Albyn School proudly reintroduced Boarding facilities as an option to pupils whose families live outside of Aberdeen. Located 5 minutes away from the School, our traditional granite boarding house is truly a home away from home, offering spacious single or shared rooms all containing ensuite bathrooms facilities.

Where Albyn will take you...

The School Prospectus and Magazine provide a fantastic insight into life at Albyn.

Admissions

A school unique in its traditions and heritage

Admissions